Sunday, November 30, 2014

A time to give Thanks.

This week we celebrated Thanksgiving! I have been working on not being overwhelmed and stressed so I did not make anything for the holiday this year. It felt really weird getting ready without an apron on, my hands armpit deep into making all kinds of stuff. I love making pies, cheesecake, breads, mashed potatoes and other things. It was relaxing though, just going and visiting without timers and messes. I kinda missed the stress of it, as crazy as that sounds.

The kids had a great time visiting with cousins and relatives. It was a real treat having my maternal grandparents there. They visit about once a year and this year it was for Thanksgiving! After the food was consumed and then everything cleaned up, we visited for a long while. Very relaxing.

Of course with the passing of Thanksgiving comes the excitement and pressures of the holiday season, namely, Christmas! So, we decided to clean the house in preparation for putting up the tree. (Gotta clear some space right?) It was refreshing to purge our things and create some space again. It seems so often in our small 3 bedroom trailer that we get swallowed up in clutter and disorganization! Not because we are all inherently lazy, but that we just simply do not have enough space for the number of people. We can occupy this space we just need to live more simply and less cluttery. (I know it's not really a word...)

As we were getting ready to put up the tree, I realized the last few years we have had a felt tree skirt with a Santa design on it and last year my son threw up all over it! For those of you that have tried to get vomit out of felt, you can probably guess what I did with it. Yep. I threw it away. I figured I would make one before next Christmas. Well guess what?! I forgot!! SO, I knew I needed to make one ASAP before the tree went up. I mean honestly, how good does a tree look without a tree skirt?? Not good.

Ok for those of you who do not know me yet, I am NOT a fan of Pinterest. I do have a pinterest account and have perused the boards of ideas for many hours. Let me be clear when I say I think pinterest is a wonderful tool and I highly recommend it to those in need of crafty inspiration. However, I find that it becomes an internet black hole, comparable only to facebook. I get on and before I know it, I have been sucked into a time warp and instantaneously HOURS of my life are gone!! Ok, rant over.

So I log into pinterest and before I being looking for tree skirt ideas I get distracted with friends recent pins....fast forward 45 mins and I finally search for tree skirt ideas, pick one and quickly log off before I can get distracted again. (45 mins! Not too bad huh??) I go into my room, grab some fabric, my machine and head over to my moms house (next door) to use her sewing room. Fast forward again 5 hours, lunchtime, naptime and a seriously smashed in the door finger later and success!! I made a tree skirt!! It's not super fancy and some might call it awfully plain but I love it and it suits our family. It is simply a gored skirt pattern with 16 gores, turned and topstitched with a muslin backing and rick rack around the edges for some flair. Not too shabby.



It fits right in with our homemade mis-match stockings...




And our homemade advent calendar...(although I cannot take credit for this one. My mom and sister made it for me when I very first got married as a copy of the one we had growing up. I have had to fix and add ornaments as they get too much love and need repair...)



I am so thankful we have a mis-matched homemade kind of life. I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment